internet of things
“a proposed development of the Internet in which everyday objects have network connectivity, allowing them to send and receive data”
—Oxford English Dictionary
"During 2008, the number of things connected to the Internet exceeded the number of people one earth.
By 2020 there will be 50 billion."
Alternative M2M communication protocols:
MQTT, XMPP, RESTful HTTP, CoAP
“The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from.”
—Andrew S. Tanenbaum
many eyes make all bugs shallow
—Limor (Ladyada) Fried, AdaFruit Industries
- Open is better than closed; this ensures portability between Internet of Things devices.
- Consumers, not companies, own the data collected by Internet of Things devices
- Internet of Things devices that collect public data must share that data.
- Users have the right to keep their data private.
- Users can delete or back up data collected by Internet of Things devices.
Open Knowledge Foundation Australia